Backing rings and gaskets
Backing rings and gaskets form together with PE stub flanges and appropriate fasteners (nuts, bolts and washers) high quality detachable flange joints.
Flanged joints are very suitable for assembly under difficult circumstances, connection to valves and pumps and the transition from PE pipe to other pipe materials.
Akatherm backing rings and gaskets are used to connect pipe sections with a diameter range from
20 mm to 1200 mm.
The backing rings are available in DIN and ANSI standard. The range consists of the following products:
- Profiled backing rings PP, DIN and ANSI
(find more information below)
- Backing rings PP, DIN and ANSI
- Profiled backing rings Ductile Iron, DIN2501 PN16
- Backing rings GRP, DIN2501
- Flange connections
- Blind flanges, DIN and ANSI
- Gaskets, profiled and flat
The application of these flange joints is:
- in general the conveyance of fluids in industrial process pipe systems
- the transport of gasses and solids (large diameters)
Read more about profiled backing rings PP:
Profiled flanges, PP encapsulated ductile iron, have a specific design and are developed for the use in thermoplastic piping systems.
Prolifed PP flanges are being cast in ductile iron GGG40 (ASTM A536), then placed into an injection molding machine and encapsulated with 30% reinforced polypropylene. This process guarantees a substantial corrosion protection barrier.
This extraordinary pipe flange concept has proven itself widely successful since 1979 in the USA, Canada and many other countries in the world. Now the very same flanges, however in metric dimensions to suit national standards, are being offered in Europe.
- Comparison to conventional pipe flanges
How does the profile PP flanges differentiate itself from conventional flanges?
The product weights of the Profile PP flanges are substantially less in comparison to the conventional pipe flanges based on the intelligent cross sectional design. The casting production technology allows the allocation of material masses in those areas where the highest stress levels are being encountered. In order to produce a plate steel range of equal capability and stress levels, approximately 80% more material needs to be employed. The Profile PP flange technology saves resources and costs, impacting especially favorable on ease of product handling of larger flanges.
The easier installation caused by the reduced flange weight offers additional benefits through the elimination of the need to re-torque the fasteners after the initial installation. The unique Profile PP flange shape, acting like a ,,Belleville washer", brings about the additional energy storage needed to overcome any thermoplastic material cold flow conditions.
Profile PP flanges are being cast in GGG40, a material with substantially better corrosion protection characteristics than, for instance, steel ST37, while the material's mechanical properties are almost identical to each other. The black, glass reinforced polypropylene thick encapsulation layer over the metallic insert takes care of most corrosion protection needs and provides its very neat appearance.
The design shape of the flanges are based on FEM calculations (Finite Element Method) whereby special considerations have been given to evaluate the flange joint including the thermoplastic stub end. IPP guarantees for all of its flanges a safety factor of 2 based on the yield strength of the material (20% casting factor reduction included) for the stated maximum operating pressures.
- Reasons to use the Profile PP flange
- Patented design, undeniably unique
- Calculation of flange joint by FEM (Finite Element Method)
- Convincing weight savings
- Calculated, guaranteed safety factor of 2,0
- 16 bar operating pressure up to d400 mm
- Extremely high corrosion resistance through the polypropylene layer over metallic insert
- Elimination of re-torquing after initial installation
- Intelligent unique design, saves resources and assures balanced stress distribution
- Substantially simplified handling
Depicted below are the ,,von Mises" stress differences (FEM analyses) between the Profile PP flange and a conventional plate steel flange (ST 37) of the same size (d250-PN 10) and service pressure (16 bar). d250 mm, PN10 (Bolt Circle) - 16 bar, Stress Results.
Profile PP flange - Units are MPa (N/mm²) Conventional PP/Steel Flange - Units are MPa (N/mm²)